Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:22:03 -0500
From:      "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@uswest.com>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Home network question

Brian N. Handy wrote:

> Hey again,
>
> I've got a question.  At home, I want to have a PC running FreeBSD that's
> connected to the net over a PPP link.
>
> Simultaneously...the same household will have a Mac and a printer.  I
> would like to be able to use the printer on both machines.  It would be
> nice to be able to trade files between both machines.  So.....
>
>  (a)  Should I network the Mac to the FBSD box?  How?  Parallel port?
>       Could I then run CAP on the BSD box and have the printer on it,
>       visible to the Mac?

If you don't have ethernet cards for both boxes, then ppp is the way
to go. Probably serial. Does your Mac have a Parallel port? I doubt it.
MacPPP 2.0.1 (I think it is) works quite well as a client.

You can then setup CAP as a print server with lwsrv8 (I just did this
on a SS5 with a SparcPrinter, it works great. The directions are
lengthy, but follow them carefully and it does great).

I haven't tried this, but aufs (in CAP) could probably let share files.

>  (b)  Should I just get a switch for the printer and bag the network
>       idea entirely?  Swapping files would be nice but not life
>       threatening.

This is quick if the printer is up to it. You didn't say what type
of printer it is. If its a Mac printer, it might be a localtalk only
printer. Then you'd have to go the CAP route and use papif to filter
lpd into appletalk.

> I'd rather avoid any herioc efforts and just get the thing working for the
> guy.  Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cap is much improved from 3-4 years ago. MacPPP is simple, and you
apparently already have ppp going on FBSD box. Though, I don't know
what kind of things you're going to run up against having the machine
as a server and a client for ppp.

> Thanks,
>
> Brian
> handy@sag.space.lockheed.com

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root 			E/Mail: ptroot@uswest.com
200 S. 5th St. Suite 1100	PAG: +1 (800) SKY-PAGE PIN: 537-7370