Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:01:47 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   Re: Loader forth changes for customization

On Nov 13, 2013, at 6:57 AM, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> =
wrote:

> It seems to work although I will talk to the team about making =
separate files for the set commands.

Since we=92re talking about this, there is an old maxim amongst FORTH =
programmers that if a single word=92s definition takes more than a page, =
it=92s just too dang long.   There are some solid reasons for that, =
namely the fact that forth is already hard enough to read as it is (and =
I=92m speaking as a FAN of the language) and you generally need to keep =
the =93internal stack state=94 in your head while writing a word since =
the stack contract is only at word boundaries (e.g. word is defined as =
tacking stack parameters foo and returning stack parameters bar).   =
Keeping the definitions short and sweet really helps to aid in =
comprehension.

The definition for draw-beastie currently violates that maxim, and if =
you guys were to refactor it as part of this work, I=92m sure future =
generations would not object! :)

- Jordan