Date:      Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:14:50 +1100
From:      Joe Shevland <jshevland@rowantreesoftware.com.au>
To:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: recomendations please for new freebsd development system

Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2005, at 12:58 AM, vizion wrote:
>
>> Would anyone be so bold as to make some recommendations for a reliable
>> motherboard/processor combination on the assumption that this is to
>> be a
>> dual processor system running freebsd 6.0
>

> You definitely want something Opteron based for this kind of data
> volume.  And I'd go with LSI Megaraid 4 channel SCSI RAID controller
> for your data connected to some Ultra 320  SCSI disks on multiple
> channels of the RAID card.

I've just bought a Tyan K8SD Pro with dual 2GHz cpus, though with the
SiS SATA RAID controller which isn't supported. I've got 4 200+Gb
drives, two of which I've mirrored using gmirror, but that motherboard
also has U320 SCSI support. I don't have any hard data suffice to say
its very snappy, looking at the gstatus output its getting perhaps 30Mb
per second transfer between drives, but I might have that wrong (and
that might be pitiful, I'm not sure). I haven't really benchmarked it to
get the full details. I've setup 4 jails to be dev/test/prod
environments and a sandboxed Samba server, and all in all its going very
well so far. This is my first exposure to an Opteron system, so this
isn't so much a recommendation as a "seems damn nice so far" :)

Cheers,
Joe