Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:21:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>
To:        Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
Cc:        Steve Ames <steve@ns1.cioe.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: best news server config

> I'd be interested to hear what other people are experiencing.  We're
> thinking about installing a Diablo front end machine to smooth the
> transatlantic flow and do some spam deletion before things get to INN.

We've found INN to be fairly sluggish, or more aptly the IO mechanism
combined with INN, with the current volume of news. INN just doesn't seem
to be able to keep up with the current volume. We finally split off our
news into two boxes, a front-end to gather all the feeds, then a reader
only. The front-end is a Diablo box getting full and partial feeds from
about 12 different sites. It keeps up with this volume very easily with
one 9gig drive. It then passes the data to the reader box, and that box
drops about 30%+ messages because it still can't keep up! Which really
sucks, because our Diablo box is listed at 280 in the world at
www.freenix.fr.

We currently are testing a new reader box using DNEWS and inital results I
must say are VERY impressive. While we don't get source for the
registration price of $695.00 we get upgrades and support (via mailing
list or voice if you want call Australia!). The DNEWS box keeps up hands
down with the stuff coming from the Diablo box and is actually idle
(feedwise) most of the time! We have about 20 gigs on the box, and the
expire mech. for DNEWS is much more efficient as well, allowing us to
retain groups being read alot longer.

It's a real bummer having to handle support calls from users complaining
about where part xxx of their alt.binarie.frogs picture is. I expect this
problem to go away once we take down the INN reader and turn the DNEWS
system into our default.

Robert Du Gaue - rdugaue@calweb.com                  http://www.calweb.com
President, CalWeb Internet Services Inc.                    (916) 641-9320