Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2006 05:29:12 GMT
From:      Chris Thielen <chris@luethy.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/95392: Kernel panic loading ndisgen-created device drivers not found before 6.1

>Number:         95392
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Kernel panic loading ndisgen-created device drivers not found before 6.1
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD localhost.localdomain 6.1-BETA4 FreeBSD 6.1-BETA4 #0: Tue Mar 14 13:59:38 UTC 2006     root@wv1u.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Using an eMachines m2350 laptop, with the Broadcom BCM4306 80211/b/g wireless NIC, I have used ndisgen from the Win2K drivers provided by Broadcom. This normally isn't a problem - the .ko file generates successfully in both 6.0 and 6.1beta4. I used the device driver over the course of months without a single problem in 6.0, but in 6.1beta4, with a fresh install and a fresh .ko file from ndisgen, I am seemingly randomly getting kernel panics. On boot, I am simply logging in, su'ing and kldload'ing the ndisgen-created .ko file and sometimes so, sometimes not, I get a complete kernel panic. The information isn't being dumped anywhere as it reports "no dump device specified" and then prompts me to hit a key to reboot. The oddity is that sometimes it works without a hitch, and it is _only_ on driver load. If the driver does load, I do not experience random kernel panics or anything using my wireless NIC for hours. It only occurs on kldload.
>How-To-Repeat:
Boot up, login in, su and simply run kldload on the ndisgen-created .ko device driver for the Broadcom device.
>Fix:
None, although the kernel panic only occurs in about 1 of every 2 cases, and in practice it's usually on a fresh boot so it's not too big a deal to just spend the extra 30 seconds to reboot, though it is a critical bug certainly.