Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 12:40:10 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>
To:        S ren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers), cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-emulation@freefall.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, jlemon@americantv.com
Subject:   Re: LINUX emulation and uname(3).

}We allready do that, sort of..
}
}>  And - we would not be advertising ourselves as Linux; but simply
}> being faithful to the emulation...
}
}That was NOT what I meant, certain programs uses the uname info to
}log to other parties that they've "been there", we don't want the
}statistics to be in favour of linux here, when it actually was a
}FreeBSD system that made the connection.
}It has nothing to do with fait, its hard facts :)

Hmm, hard facts are things like having a deadline to get
a project demoed, so there isn't enough time to get the
vendor to understand what is going on and change the test
that works for them on their linux boxes, then package up
a new distribution just for me.  Codine is a real good example
(www.genias.de).

But I like Martin's idea of stuffing a dummy uname into the
linux bin, too.

Russell