Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:24:50 -0800
From:      adamw@holonet.net (Adam Wight)
To:        Nick Hibma <hibma@skylink.it>, "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld failed...

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Nick Hibma wrote:
>Let me guess, the kernel panic ends up in a division by zero error when
>writing to floppy in _qdivrem.

Yep, this would be it.

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
>That sounds like it could have just been fixed by phk. If it's not that and
>is the writing past the end of a block device issue, use the character
>device instead.

I'm afraid it's the latter problem.  It crashes at line 414 of dd/conv.c,
but I really don't see why.  The arguments all look decent--it's only
trying to write 512 bytes at a time, and everything looks just like it does
during a character device write.  I don't understand this area of the
system well enough to do much useful debugging, but if anyone wants the
particulars, this is 120% repeatable.

-Adam Wight