Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:17:58 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:40:47PM -0800, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> > . GPFS  http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/clusters/software/gpfs.html
>
> Anyone used this with Linux?  I tend to have faith in Big Blue's
> engineering practices, in general they hire smart people.

Interestingly, the last paragraph on this page also appears to say that
its BSD licensed, making it a good fit at least license wise.  I think
technical considerations should come first, but if people it want it in
the mainstream FreeBSD code, licensing is a consideration.

> > . Lustre	http://www.lustre.org/
>
> "The central target in this project is the development of Lustre, a
> next-generation cluster file system which can serve clusters with 10,000's
> of nodes, petabytes of storage, move 100's of GB/sec with state of the art
> security and management infrastructure. The 1.0 release of Lustre will
> happen early 2002 and will target clusters up to 1,000 nodes with 100'TB's
> of storage."
>
> Quite the claim(s), anyone actually seen it work?

Lustre is in use on the MCR cluster (http://www.llnl.gov/linux/mcr/) that
comes in at 5 on the latest top 500 list (http://www.top500.org/) of super
computers.  I'm pretty sure that is the biggest cluster currently using
it.

MCR certainly satisfies the 1000 nodes (1152) and 100 TBs (110) of disk space
parts of their statements regarding 1.0 (which isn't even out).

> I don't think there's any 'pretty' FreeBSD clustering solution today...
> Pretty meaning a combination of managability, stability, robustness and
> correctness.  So, moving forward, can we reach a consensus on 'what's best
> to try to port?'

I think there can certainly be a worthwhile discussion of what people
think would be the best to port and why.  Ultimately the people who
volunteer to do the work get to pick though :).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org