Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 15:39:01 -0500
From:      "Carl Lankinen" <no1_carl@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel Installation (make install) and kernel loading messages

Hello, I have recently downloaded and installed FreeBSD 4.2.  I have since
customized and rebuilt the kernel.  Recently, the 'make install' command has
been giving me the following error:

chflags noschg /kernel
chflags: /kernel: Operation not permitted
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
mv /kernel /kernel.old
mv: rename /kernel to /kernel.old: Operation not permitted
*** Error code 1

I am logged in as root and I have been able to execute make install before.

My other question involves my PCI NIC.  I have a 3Com 3c-450.  This card is
supported by FreeBSD but FreeBSD has problems configuring it.  When the
kernel is loaded the following message appears:

xl0: <3Com 3c450-TX HomeConnet> irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
xl0: couldn't map ports/memory
device_probe_and_attach: xl0 attach returned 6

If I run ifconfig there is no device xl0.  I do not think that my NIC is
being initiallized by FreeBSD.

My last question involves my sound card.  I have a SoundBlaster Live and
FreeBSD recognizes it but has difficulty configuring it.  The following
message appears:

pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> irg 10 at device 14.0 on pci0
pcm0: unable to map register space
device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

All of the irqs are correct for the devices.  These devices are PCI cards
and I did try to add the ports/memory info for the SB Live card in MYKERNEL
but was unsuccessful.

Thanks for your assistance....

Carl