Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 20:49:43 +0200
From:      Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        Jeremy Andrews <jeremy@kerneltrap.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Speeding up ssh over modem?

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 09:20:06AM -0500, Jeremy Andrews wrote:
> I'd drop the '-v', and add '-cblowfish' as it's a faster encryption algorithm:
>
>     ssh -Ccblowfish -lusername <destination>
>
> -Jeremy
>
> --
>  Jeremy Andrews    <mailto:jeremy@kerneltrap.com>
>  PGP Key ID: 8F8B617A  http://www.kerneltrap.com/

I have tried that, same results.  Both machines are p3/500MHz, so I do
not think the encription speed is relevant here.  I do have a 14.4k
connection.

I think this has to do more with the fact that ipfw list uses more
write()s, as opposed to cat using libc's I/O buffering.  I will check
the source, and will probably do some ktrace on ipfw list, and the cat
process.

I am wondering if there is a way for sshd to check if the delay between
two write()s to the terminal it creates are closer than say 5ms, and
combining those on the outgoing wire, for a max of 10.  This would yield
a max delay of 50ms, which I think would not really be noticeable.

Alex