Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:14:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@schizo.cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bind 4.9.5-P1 on FreeBSD going bonkers...

I'm having an intermittent problem on my main nameserver for my ISP site.  I'm
using FreeBSD -current as of about August on a P5-90, 64MB's RAM.

Basically the following tells the whole story.  It works fine for a while, and
then every request comes back as non-authoritative.  They're not even always
right.

Restarting the nameserver fixes the problem for the short term.

Note that this is not for my own domain, nor hosts that we serve, but just random
places out there on the net.

# nslookup www.stroud.com
Server:  ns.cdsnet.net
Address:  204.118.244.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.stroud.com
Address:  204.107.221.239

# named.restart
Jan 29 22:09:59 ns named[28248]: starting.  named 4.9.5-P1 Tue Jan 21 16:09:56 PST 1997         root@ns.cdsnet.net:/usr/local/src/bind-4.9.5-P1/named
Jan 29 22:10:00 ns named[28249]: Ready to answer queries.

nslookup www.stroud.com
Name Server Restarted
# # Server:  ns.cdsnet.net
Address:  204.118.244.2

Name:    www.stroud.com
Addresses:  204.107.221.239, 199.35.192.140

This is a serious problem, since my squid server won't use any non-authoritative
answers from the DNS, and so several thousand customers can't access the
web.

Restarting named *always* fixes it.

Any ideas appreciated.