Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:26:30 -0700
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>
To:        Peter Brezny <pbrezny@purplecat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Help host resolution mixup.

Quoting Peter Brezny <pbrezny@purplecat.net>:

| Ed,
|
| Thanks a lot.
|
| This is very clear, and addresses my issue exactly.  I'll talk with
| domaindiscover.com and see if they can work this out.
|
| Peter Brezny
| Skyrunner.net

Peter,

After checking further with http://www.internic.net/cgi/whois you may
still have to go NetSol because I haven't been able to detect the problem
externally.

Have you thought about assigning NS3 and NS4 to your current IP's, registering
them with domaindiscover as registry name servers. (The one to one restriction
was removed earily this year) then go to netsol and change ns1 and ns2 to ns3
and ns4.  It is a hack/work around that really sucks but could/should be
faster and less frustrating than dealing with NetSol.

ed

| |
| | note the "Updated Date: 05-nov-2001" in the whois record - do you think
| | they
| | may be holding some old data because they still have you listed as hosts
| on
| | their system?
| |
| | --
| | John Brooks
| | john@stlbsd.org
| |
| |
| |
| | domains registered at networksolutions.com provide incorrect ip addresses
| | for ns1 and ns2.purplecat.net even thought he forward lookup for these
| | hosts
| | works fine, _and_ modifying the information for barbarafield.org with the
| | correct ip addresses at networksolutions does not fix the problem, even
| | though it claims that the update went through successfully:
| |
| | whois barbarafield.org
| |    Domain Name: BARBARAFIELD.ORG
| |    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
| |    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
| |    Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
| |    Name Server: NS1.PURPLECAT.NET
| |    Name Server: NS2.PURPLECAT.NET
| |    Updated Date: 05-nov-2001
| |
| | ..
| |
| |   Domain servers in listed order:
| |
| |    NS1.PURPLECAT.NET            209.16.228.148
| |    NS2.PURPLECAT.NET            209.16.228.149
| |
| |
| |