Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:02:45 +0200 (EET)
From:      Alexandr Listopad <laa@zgia.zp.ua>
To:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@jaxon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help! need kernel!

cpiazz>> hello!
cpiazz>>
cpiazz>> I have Abit motherboard with ATA-66 support.
cpiazz>> I try to install FreeBSD-CURRENT, all good when install, but after reboot
cpiazz>> kernel boots, but ask me a root device, when I press '?', there are no
cpiazz>> 'ad' device (this is my HDD). ;( As I understand - there are no support in
cpiazz>> that kernel for my HDD... ;(
cpiazz>>
cpiazz>> As I understand there are one way to help me - create new kernel with
cpiazz>> ata-pci0 support.

Thanks you for your answer!

cpiazz>
cpiazz>The boot floppies have ATA in the kernel.  I installed a new system on
cpiazz>a BP6 with the hard drive on one of the HPT366 controllers just fine
cpiazz>about two weeks ago.  Sorry, but I have no idea what is going on
cpiazz>here.. I just wanted to say that it worked for me....

I had installed FreeBSD-CURRENT on my PC, from flopppies and ftp, all ok.
But after reboot and press F3 new kernel boots (!) and after test wd0 and
some other devices (no ata-pci) ask me: from what partition we will boot?

My root partition is ad4s3a, but its don't work... ;<

I have a question - where from the kernel boots? ;) And why it don't work
on ad4s3a????

cpiazz>
cpiazz>ata-pci1: <HighPoint HPT366 ATA-66 controller> port 0xd400-0xd4ff,0xd000-0xd003,
cpiazz>0xcc00-0xcc07 irq 18 at device 19.0 on pci0
cpiazz>...
cpiazz>ad4: 12949MB disk <IBM-DJNA-371350> at ata2 as master mode UDMA66
cpiazz>
cpiazz>BTW, sos, if you're reading this:  I like this format for reporting
cpiazz>the hard drives present a lot better :-).
cpiazz>

What is your HPT-366 (Abit BE6) BIOS ver?

Thanks.

Regards,
  Listopad Alexandr
  (laa@zgia.zp.ua), LAA7-RIPE