Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 03:35:23 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth

mOn Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Alan Batie wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 03:51:40PM +0800, Craig Beasland wrote:
> > If we purchase a frame relay connection, plug in a Cisco 2501 router, will
> > that provide us with a drop in replacement for our existing router?
>
> I would (and did) get the ET Inc sync card.  It works great, and would
> just be an upgrade to your existing router.  I have a Pentium 133 routing
> a T1 with 200-300kbps (occasionally peaking at full T1) of traffic and
> it's mostly idle.

Just a quick note to point out that the original poster was from Australia
- we don't have T1's here. :-) We have this strange thing called DDS
Fastway which offers bandwidth between 64k and 1984k in 64k increments, or
good old ISDN, or a 2Mbit megalink. All at horribly large Tel$tra prices,
of course - a 64k ISDN semi perm link calling within 25km costs about
$AUD270 a month, which is roughly $US160/month. That's excluding any
content, that is just the low level link at the "A" end. Grumble, grumble,
grumble.

Sorry, got a little carried away, I go all green with envy when I hear how
cheap p-t-p links are in other countries.

(Don't buy stuff direct from other countries unless you are 100% sure it's
compatible with your local telco interfaces!)

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/
Sensation Internet Services                   http://info.sensation.net.au/