Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:20:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Roberts <droberts@gwis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rdump fails between freebsd machines

I'm encountering a problem with remote dumps between FreeBSD machines..
I've sucessfully dumped from both Solaris and BSDI/2.0 to a FreeBSD tape
host, however every FreeBSD machine I've attempted to dump from has
failed.  I've tried 3 different computers with both FreeBSD 2.2.7 and 3.0.

The backup bombs out like this:

su-2.02# /sbin/rdump 0ufB backup@noc.gwis.com:/dev/nrst0 10000000 /
  DUMP: Connection to noc.gwis.com established.
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Jan 12 10:18:52 1999
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rda0s1a (/) to /dev/nrst0 on host backup@noc.gwis.com
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 18335 tape blocks on 0.00 tape(s).
  DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.

Any ideas?  Please cc: any responses to my email address.  Thank you!

--
Dan Roberts, http://gwis.com/~droberts        Gateway to Internet Services