Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 09:20:50 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Keith=20Spencer?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail is broken...I am in deep here Help please!

The error you're getting is an indication that mail.local can't lock
the maildrop (/var/mail/<user>).

There is a reasonable gap between the sendmail in 3.2 and that in 4.2,
and one of the changes is the choice of local mailer.  In 3.2 it was:

Mlocal,		P=/usr/libexec/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qrmn9, S=10/30, R=20/40,
		T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
		A=mail -d $u

while in 4.2 it's:

Mlocal,         P=/usr/libexec/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qPSXfmnz9, S=EnvFromL/H
drFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP,
                A=mail.local -l

While this looks a LOT different, the significant differences are in the
invocation (A=...), and the flags (F=...).  I think that if you change
your local mailer definition to:

Mlocal,         P=/usr/libexec/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qPSXfmnz9, S=10/30, R=20/40,
                T=DNS/RFC822/SMTP,
                A=mail.local -l

it should resolve your problems.

However, my recommendation is that you work out what modifications you
made to the standard sendmail install in 3.2, start again with the standard
4.2 sendmail, and re-implement your changes (keeping in mind that the
newer sendmail has different names for some of the files, puts everything
in /etc/mail, ...).  Basically, read the sendmail documentation so you
know what you're doing.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319