Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:29:58 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OK, where did rc.local go?

> That "can't happen" as init make sure xdm can't fork too fast w/out
> disabling itself.  Unless it happened that the "xdm" binary had a bug in
> it that caused 'nodaemon' to be ignored, which would cause the inferior
> xdm process to fork un-beknownst to the original xdm process.

I think it wasn't as straight forward as init spawning too many xdm's.
I think it might have been xdm that was doing the forking, probably due
to some difference in the environment in which it was invoked (sigmask
maybe?). If someone is really interested I can try to reproduce it and
get some more info - but I think it is just safest to start it from
rc.local.

	David.