Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 23:11:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   again, fixit floppy isn't useable...

Hi !

I saw in a commit log from Joerg, that he does some fixes to the
fixit floppy generation. Don't know exactly what fixes. But today
I tried again, to "refresh" my filesystems, by backing up everything
using dump. Then I wanted to newfs and restore the filesystems from
tape using the fixit floppy.

But both, the one from 2.1.6 and from 2.2-ALPHA are still broken.
I got the floppies fresh from a FreeBSD ftp site...

Here my results, what's still going wrong. I think this should
be fixed. I have no idea, what's really going wrong ... why ...
see later:

fixit# mt status
/dev/nrst0: no such file or directory

fixit# mt -f /dev/rst0 status:
0x00 Blocksize variable ... etc ... OK

fixit# mt -f /mnt2/dev/nrst0 status:
0x00 Blocksize variable ... etc ... OK

The device nrst0 is only present on the fixit floppy, under /mnt2.

The devices for my harddisk partitions are missing. The MAKEDEV
script is located in /mnt/dev/MAKEDEV

fixit# cd /mnt2/dev
fixit# sh MAKEDEV sd0s3e
expr: not found
expr: not found
expr: not found
bad unit for disk in: sd0s3e(unit=,slice=,part=)

fixit# ed MAKEDEV
/PATH

fixit# sh MAKEDEV sd0s3e
/mnt2: write failed, file system full
Memory fault
/mnt2: write failed, file system full
Memory fault
bad unit for disk in: sd0s3e(unit=,slice=,part=)

No space ????

fixit# df -i

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused  Mounted on
mfs_root         1369     1114      255    81%     186     196    49%   /
/dev/fd0         1095      762      333    70%     507      67    88%   /mnt2

These are exactly the things I did using the 2.1.6 fixit floppy.
The same happened using the 2.2-ALPHA fixit floppy.

The only difference is, that the 2.2-ALPHA floppy had an vi and
an ed. The 2.1.6 boot/fixit floppy had only and ed, vi was missing.
Using vi to edit MAKEDEV wasn't possible, because of "no space on
filesystem".

I tried to
fixit# rmdir /tmp
	and to do a
fixit# ln -s mnt2/tmp /tmp
	to workaround this, but no difference, it's only possible to
	'hack' MAKEDEV with ed.

Well, I see no possibility to restore a crashed system :-(

What might be ok is a New Installation of a minimal FreeBSD System.
But what then ? Boot single user and newfs / and restore it after
that ???? Hmmm.

Looks like one has to do the ugly thing to overwrite over the
filesystems ... But who guarantees, that sh MAKEDEV is running
on the minimal system ?! ;-)

Tricky situation.

a) Why does df -i report enough space, and something is reporting to
   few space .... ?!?!

b) What now ? Ignore this ? Please no. This isn't "stable" behaviour.
   And it's not ok for 2.2 RELEASE as well.

- --
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner
Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de
pgp p-key  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html  >>> powered by <<<
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz  >>>    FreeBSD <<<