Date:      Wed,  9 Sep 1998 12:07:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

Quoth Robert Swindells on Tue, 8 September:
:
: I find the performance of the existing JDK acceptable on a PII-233, but
: I wouldn't want to run it on anything slower. I would rather develop
: under FreeBSD anyway, even if it is a bit slower.

I'm running on "anything slower" :-(.

: To speed up compile times I use the Linux version of IBM's jikes
: compiler.

Since my TowerJ demo license expired, I'll make a point to try it --
and thanks for the nudge.

: >(That is,
: >disregarding for the moment the possibility of sufficient Solaris x86
: >ABI support to allow the use of Solaris' libsunwjit.so.)

I'm still hoping someone will comment on this:-)

: I am currently looking at taking the JIT from Kaffe-0.9.2 and building it
: into a shared library that will load into our JDK.

Please do share your findings!  The other obvious possibility is
using the gjc stuff; but that is GPL, and is likely to leak memory
(not being designed as part of a long-lived jvm) -- unless you
add boehm gc!