Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 04:38:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file://localhost/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> Sending email with lynx is confusing the first time, more so when it
> takes you by surprise. I think most people either don't read that
> preamble or don't remember it, and who'd think of Ctrl-G. The only other
> place I've encountered Ctrl-G is to beep the PC speaker in a DOS
> batch file, when there's an editor that'll let you use that character.

Actually, it's the beep character for cons25, too...  IOW, it'll
beep the PC speaker in a FreeBSD sh file.  :)

Although, of course, the correct way to beep from an sh file is
to use `tput bl`.

Ctrl-G is also the mildly-context-sensitive help character in
Pine, although I don't see it listed anywhere...  Hmm...

> > There's also a last-minute chance to abort when it asks something
> > along the lines of "Send this message (y/n)?".
>
> Ah yes, I will go along with that one :-)

Although, to be fair, I've filled-in the occasional empty message
with Lynx, and, once getting that far, it is unbelievably
tempting to hit "y" for no good reason at all.  The message you
wrote disappears from the screen, and I think that does something
odd to a person's psyche.  ;)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.