Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:44:23 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Router/Firewall

Suppose I have a block of IP addresses, let's say
128.252.130.0/0xfffffff0. I have a FreeBSD server with two network
cards, dc0 and xl0. My ISP provides me with a gateway, 128.252.130.209.
I wish to insert the FreeBSD server between my access line (a T1) and my
internal network, while retaining publicly-addressable IP addresses on
the internal network.

Let's say the external interface on the FreeBSD machine, xl0, is
128.252.130.211 and it connects directly to the T1 through a dedicated
router and some crossover cable. dc0, which is connected to my internal
network, will be called 128.252.130.220.

This setup poses a problem: I cannot seem to set the routing properly. I
need any packet NOT going to 128.252.130.0/0xfffffff0 to be routed to
128.252.130.209 over xl0, and all packets going to my block to be
handled over dc0 with no gateway. Setting a default route for the
gateway, and a specific route over dc0, does not work. Nor does the
other way around (as one might expect). The best I can do is be able to
ping my internal network, or ping hosts on the Internet, but not both at
one time.

Any information on proper routing, or a more preferred setup, would be
appreciated. You don't need to recommend or explain NAT; this is how the
network is configured at the moment. I would like to do away with NAT in
order to keep internal hosts publicly addressable without fancy
rewriting tricks.

Thanks,
--
Andrew Hesford