Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 14:36:26 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Andrew Herdman <andrew@whine.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   new network device that appeared on it's own

<<On Thu, 7 Mar 1996 13:39:11 -0500, Andrew Herdman <andrew@whine.com> said:

> If I do an ifconfig -a along with my ed1, lp0, lo0, and tun0 devices I
> have this new 'ds0' device, and I have no idea what it is or where it is
> even comming from.  Here's my kernal config.  Any ideas?  The only thing
> I have added was pseudo-device disc.  I'm not really sure why I added it
> as I have no idea what it even does.

It is the black-hole network interface.  You send packets to it, and
it throws them away.  It's useful for testing packet processing
performance.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.