Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:38:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        mark@grondar.za
Cc:        committers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: p5-* ports

 * > (1) Does it behave exactly like the one in ports?  For instance, the
 * >     p5-* ports still will still go to the same directory
 * >     (/usr/local/lib/perl5/...)?
 *
 * No - I belive we discussed this before? I'm negotiable, but I'd prefer
 * /usr/local/libexec/perl5/.

Yes we discussed it, but you said you're going to keep them in
/usr/local/lib/perl5 for now, but split them to share/perl5 (manpages)
and libexec/perl5 (everything else).

And you said you're going to give out a loud yell before you change
that (I haven't heard anything coming from South Africa :).

 * > (2) If so, where does it get the value "/usr/local" from?
 *
 * It is a configuration option for perl's ./configure, and could be
 * set as a #define for my bmaked stuff or as an entry in @INC for the
 * diehards.

You mean it's built in when you build /usr/bin/perl5 (and friends)?
What does the user have to do if they want to move ${LOCALBASE}
elsewhere?

Speaking of bsd.port.mk...I was thinking about adding something like
this (dima committed a very premature version of this):

===
.if exists(/usr/bin/perl5)
.if !exists(/usr/bin/perl${PERL_VERSION}
"error!  you need to update your system perl or delete it!"
.else
PERL5=	/usr/bin/perl${PERL_VERSION}
.endif
.else
PERL5=	${LOCALBASE}/bin/perl${PERL_VERSION}
.if defined(USE_PERL5)
BUILD_DEPENDS+=  perl${PERL_VERSION}:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5
RUN_DEPENDS+=    perl${PERL_VERSION}:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5
.endif
.endif
===

What do you think?  Will it just work (modulo the (1) problem above)
with this, or do we need something else?

One thing that is *very important* is to absorb all hackery into
bsd.port.mk so individual ports don't have to be adjusted depending on
whether the user is running -stable or -current.  (I'd also prefer to
have it work on users with pre-src-perl5 -current with a new
bsd.port.mk, thus the above test.)

Satoshi