Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:55:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        james <jamesb@nelsonbay.com>, Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing a2ps + other config questions

On Wednesday, 28 July 1999 at 11:02:47 +1000, james wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first install of freeBSD, so after a few frustrating days of
> hunting through the usual places and I would very much appreciate some help.
>
> Q1,  Whats the command(s) to get an hp ps printer to work.  The freeBSD
> Q2.  Would like the other computers on the lan to be able to http through
> Q3.  Is the best way to load src ( for say a2ps.. ) onto the system, to do
> Q4.  For a small lan like this, is it a good idea to have a named with a
> Q5.  Can a mac and the various MS os's both use the lan ?  Have got samba
> Q6.  Is it possible to run informix IDS for linux on freeBSD ?  Or put

You'll be a whole lot better off sending individual messages.  Many
people will see the list you have there and just not answer at all.
Make separate, easily digestible messages of it, and you'll get more
response.

On Wednesday, 28 July 1999 at 12:23:45 +1000, james wrote:
> Hi Greg, [Lewis]
>
> Thank you for your help with this.
> I have a couple of detail questions to clarify my ignorance here.
>
>>> Q1,  Whats the command(s) to get an hp ps printer to work.  The freeBSD
>>> system is the server to a few other systems.  So far, the printer prints
>>> one line per page.
>>
>> I assume this is when you are trying to print a flat text file?  If so, you
>> either need to convert to file to postscript (e.g. with a2ps or apsfilter
>> or by some homegrown thingy which tacks a postscript header on the top) or
>> convert the file with unix2dos or the like so that its a DOS/WIN style
>> text file.

This isn't necessarily correct.  I have an HP 6MP (the P stands for
PostScript), and it will print either PostScript or plain text if sent
it while idle.  Send one format after the other while it's printing,
and it'll get confused.  As a result, it's better to send it only
PostScript, but you don't have to.  If you send it normal text when
it's expecting PostScript, it'll print nothing.  If you send it
PostScript when it's expecting normal text, it'll print the PostScript
out in normal text.

James, you could have said which model you have.

> Two typical cases of printing: either from word97 on the lan, or from lp
> directly on Unix.

If you send lp directly, it'll be plain text.  This is beginning to
sound like a staircase problem.  What happens if you print a number of
very short lines (< 10 characters per line)?

> What I dont know is what command do I type on the command line to get the
> printer that the lan knows about to print documents sent to it from the
> word97 program.

If you're using something like the 6MP, and you have the program set
up for the printer, you don't need to do anything.

Greg