Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:20:02 GMT
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/177429: dd(1) man page is unclear about semantics of conv=sync

The following reply was made to PR docs/177429; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: "Ronald F.Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/177429: dd(1) man page is unclear about semantics of
 conv=sync
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:18:35 +0200

 --OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

 On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 08:21:11PM -0700, Ronald F.Guilmette wrote:
 >=20
 > >Number:         177429
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       dd(1) man page is unclear about semantics of conv=3Dsync
 [snip]
 >=20
 > The man page for dd(1) describes the "sync" parameter of the "conv=3D" op=
 tion
 > thusly:
 >=20
 >               sync     Pad every input block to the input buffer size.  S=
 paces
 >                        are used for pad bytes if a block oriented convers=
 ion
 >                        value is specified, otherwise NUL bytes are used.
 >=20
 > This verbage is entirely unclear. What is a "block oriented conversion va=
 lue"
 > and how would a user know whether or not he had specified one?
 >=20
 > The man page should make this more clear & explicit.

 Well, the "conversion value" is the set of all parameters that you have
 supplied to "conv" - you can supply more than one using commas.  And I
 think that "block-oriented" should mean that some of the things that you
 have specified say that the output should be in blocks - either that it
 is in blocks by default (and you have *not* requested unblocking it by
 using "ascii", "oldascii" or "unblock"), or that you've requested that
 dd(1) make it into blocks using one of the "block", "ebcdic", "ibm",
 "oldebcdic" and "oldibm" conversion specifiers.

 Of course, I could be wrong, but that's how I myself understand the
 manual page.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --=20
 Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net roam@FreeBSD.org p.penchev@storpool.com
 Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13
 No language can express every thought unambiguously, least of all this one.

 --OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

 --OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY--