Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:17:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, geek.dwells@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: i am facing these issues after my FreeBSD 6.2 installation.

ajay gopalakrishnan wrote:
 > [...]

Note, your questions are off-topic here.
Please use the "questions" mailing list next time.

 > 1. I am using PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE). I am running FreeBSD on Vmware and
 > i set the network connection as "Bridged" on Vmware. I configured my
 > Ethernet device with the correct IP, Gateway, Netmask, DNS but i dont know
 > how to start my internet on FreeBSD. All i do to connect to the internet on
 > Windows is give my username and password. I also read the PPPoE chapter on
 > the FreeBSD manual but of no use. How should i start PPoE on FreeBSD?

You're running PPPoE on your Windows host system, right?
In that case you do not need to use PPPoE on the FreeBSD
system.  From the viewpoint of the FreeBSD system, it will
look like a normal, direct ethernet interface.  Just
configure the correct settings (e.g. via sysinstall, or
edit /etc/rc.conf directly).

See the FreeBSD Handbook for details.

 > 2. I need Vim. I dont want to use Vi. I searched in my CD-1 and CD-2. But i
 > could not find the package "vim" inside it. Since i am not able to connect
 > to the internet is there any other way to install Vim ?

Download the vim package from one of the FreeBSD FTP mirrors
to your Windows host system, then make it available to the
FreeBSD system (e.g. by creating an ISO image and mounting
it inside the FreeBSD system).

 > 3. How should i configure FreeBSD to start in X mode directly. Currently i
 > have to do startx to start X on my machine.

There are several possibilities to do that (e.g. enable the
xdm entry in /etc/ttys).  I think it is explained in the
FreeBSD FAQ or Handbook.

 > 4. I want to make "bash" as the default shell instead of "csh". Where is
 > that configured?

In the password database.  Use the chsh(1) command to change
your login shell.

 > 5. Where are the kernel sources located?

In /usr/src/sys.

 > I need it because i want to do kernel network programming?

What do you mean exactly?  It's my impression that you
don't really know what "kernel network programming" means
(but I could be wrong).

 > Is having kernel sources sufficient or there are
 > other dependencies also?

It should be sufficient.  Please see the FreeBSD Developers
Handbook for more information.

 > 6. How do developers usually keep their kernel sources in sync with the main
 > Central Kernel source? Do we use CVS or Subversion for this?

There are several possibilities, the most common are
probably CVS, cvsup or csup.  I strongly recommend that
you have a closer look at the documentation, because
you can find all of your questions answered there.

Best regards
   Oliver

"anyone new to programming should be kept as far from C++ as
possible;  actually showing the stuff should be considered a
criminal offence" -- Jacek Generowicz