Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 18:00:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        sweeting@tm.net.my
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TIMEZONE and DST ....  making the kernel (was Re: 2.2-GAMMA.)

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997 sweeting@tm.net.my wrote:

> >> Aside from a large number of warnings about type mismatches (comparing signed
> >> to unsigned values), it finally dies compiling param.c noting that
> >>TIMEZONE and
> >> DST aren't defined.

Hm, I don't have a TIMEZONE or DST in param.c.  Are you sure you grabbed
the right source?

> >Try removing /usr/src/sys and reinstalling it.  Leftover garbage will
> >confuse things sometimes.
>
> ok, i removed /usr/src/sys and got hold of the ssys.* files again.
> when the  whatever.tar.gz  (created from the ssys.* files) is decompressed, it
> says that the garbage is ignored.

You may have sucked in ssys.inf too, or when you reconstituted the tar.gz,
one of the archives was out of order.

Use this command:

cat ssys.* | tar xzf -

Cat will process them in the proper order.

> i customised the GENERIC config file and tried to make it....
> still the DST and TIMEZONE errors occured and sure enough, looking in param.c
> the DST and TIMEZONE variables do seem to be used before assigned values
> but then again, i'm not a coder ......

Have you tried just building GENERIC?

> >IT's the ssys distribution, and just look over GENERIC for anything
> >important.  All the opts are in LINT.
>
> did i perhaps make a boo boo in the config file ????

Maybe.  Can I see it?