Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:59:39 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
Cc:        Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Any success stories with Dell Inspiron 4100?

On 26-Nov-2001 Andrew Reid wrote:
>  I had similar problems on with my NEC Versa LX. It'd hang for about 30
>  seconds when probing the ata devices. Jarrod Sayers once told me why
>  it was doing this, but I've since lost the e-mail.
>
>  Does the i2500 hang indefinately? Mine'd spring back into life after
>  the 30 seconds, but it was quite annoying.

Nope, hangs 'forever' (I didn't wait that long).

>  It's interesting that niether Jarrod's or my Toshiba laptops have had
>  those problems though.

I haven't had a problem with the Inpsiron 8000.

The kernel starts booting and hangs after printing..

ata1: ...
uhci0: ...
usb0:...
uhub0: ...
pci0: ... vendor=0x8086 dev=0x2443
uhci1: ...
usb1: ...
uhub1: ...
pci0: ... vendor=0x8086 dev=0x2445

The HD/FDD (the same light is for both) light stays on, I couldn't hit
ctrl-alt-bspace (is the 4.4 kern.flp kernel built with DDB?) or ctrl-alt-delete.

Had to hold the power button down for ~4 seconds.

There are no PnP OS type options in the BIOS.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum