Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:33:34 HST
From:      knowtree@aloha.com
To:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        knowtree@aloha.com
Subject:   mount samba shares with Nautilus

Does anyone have a smooth way to mount samba shares in Nautilus?

On my workstation I have FreeBSD 4.11 STABLE, Nautilus 2.8.2. I have a
panel on left side of screen with Disk Mounters for floppy and CD-ROM, all
working. I tried to extend this settup to samba shares, but am stuck at
needing root access.

This command, run as root, works fine:

mount -t smbfs //me@aserver/ashare /adir

me - username to connect as, known to samba on aserver

aserver - the NETBIOS name of the remote samba server

ashare - the share name on aserver, "me" has rw access

adir - a directory in the root of my workstation, which I own, group
operator, perms 755.

It does prompt for a password, and I give it the password associated with
"me" on the server.

Run as me (unprivleged) it gives this:

Warning: no cfg file(s) found.
smbfs: can not setup kernel iconv table (default:tolower): syserr =
Operation not permitted

The Nautilus disk mounter seems to want to find the mount point in
/etc/fstab and use that to create a command line "mount themountpoint." So,
even if I get the permissions worked out, how would I handle the password?

I have also looked at the Network Servers window, but so far have been
unsuccessful in connecting to any of my four samba servers. But even if I
get that working, how can I connect via a panel icon?

Akk suggestions welcome.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu