Date:      Thu, 22 May 97 18:00:52 -0400
From:      Patrick Gardella <pgardella@geocities.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Modem Problem?!?

I am about ready to pull my hair out!  I am trying to dial out on my
FreeBSD 2.2.1 system.  But for some reason, my communications with my
modem are messed up.  The computer can talk to the modem just fine.

For example, When I am in term mode in user PPP, I have to hit RETURN
twice to get the result code to print to the screen.  The display is
always one character behind, as well.  So if I type "ath", I can only see
"at" until I hit return.  Then I can see ath, but I have to hit
return again to display the result code "ok".

So it's like the computer is not echoing the character back to the
display.  (Local echo is on.)

When I do connect, (using PPP term or seyon).  I have to hit return to
see what the other computer is sending to me.  It doesn't just flow
across the screen like it should.  It comes in chunks (about 12
characters
at a time) as I hit random characters to make it display.

This is confirmed in the PPP log (See below).  It sends AT expecting an
OK in return.  It gets nothing.  It sends the atdt command, and in return
it gets the OK it was expecting for the AT.  When it connects, the script
doesn't see anything, becuase it hasn't sent a character to make it see
it.  So it can't go on!  I've tried fiddling with the CR/LF setup to no
avail.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Patrick

Log file:

05-18 09:00:33 [201] Using interface: tun0
05-18 09:01:02 [201] sending: AT&F&C1&D2
05-18 09:01:12 [201] got: PM V.42 BIS
05-18 09:01:15 [201] Expecting
05-18 09:01:20 [201] can't get (5).
05-18 09:01:21 [201] Wait for (40): CONNECT --> CONNECT

OK

____

The PM V.42 BIS was from the last time I tried to connect!