Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:51:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure RPC revisited

Well, I got tired of wondering about how Redhat was able to ship Secure RPC
with their distribution, so I asked them (via the 'feedback' selection on
their web site).

This is what they said:

---begin snippage:

To: wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: http://www.redhat.com/
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:24:17 -0500
From: RHS Linux User <sales@redhat.com>

Thank for your interest in Red Hat Software.  The version of the RPC that we
have on our Cds is licensed on the GNU and is therefore freely available and
usable to all users.
Best Regards
Red Hat Software

----end snippage

I think he's trying to say that their code is covered by the GNU copyleft
(presumeably as part of their entire 'product' which in this case would
be their Linux distribution). I don't think they can say that, since the
SunRPC code is already copyrighted by Sun Microsystems. It also doesn't
address the fact that the GNU copyleft offers no protection whatsoever
against the (admittedly stupid) US export laws that forbid exporting DES
code.

I think I'm going to try to bump this along to the next idiot in the chain
and see what they have to say about this.

-Bill

PS: Is there a non-US person around with a Redhat Linux CD-ROM set handy?
    If so, can you check to see whether your version of libc has Secure
    RPC and DES? (Do an 'nm /usr/lib/libc.a | grep des' and look for
    'des_impl.o' which is the object that has the _des_crypt() function
    in it. If you see that, then you have DES. If you have 'auth_des.o'
    then you have Secure RPC.) I'm starting to wonder if maybe the
    Redhat people may have put their foot in it.

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."