Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:33:55 -0700
From:      "YipKei Kwok" <yipkeikwok@gmail.com>
Subject:   Installation problem of 5.2 and 7.0 on HP zx6000

Hi,

I have an Itanium machine, HP zx6000, on which I want to install
FreeBSD on it. For some reasons because of patches, I prefer to
install FreeBSD 5.X. There are two 73GB SCSI hard drives installed on
this machine. The hardware specification can be found on the
manufacturer's website [0].

I downloaded the ISO image of the disc 1 of 5.2, filename
"5.2-RELEASE-ia64-disc1.iso", from the official FreeBSD FTP archive
[1]. The installation process hangs soon, within 10 seconds, after I
selected to boot from a CDROM on the EFI boot option list.

Here was the message.

Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Entering /boot/kernel/kernel at 0xe00000004058000...

The machine hanged completely even without response on number lock.

Then, I download the ISO image of 7.0 bootonly disc, filename
"7.0-CURRENT-200611-ia64-bootonly.iso", from the FreeBSD FTP site [2].
Again, the installation process hangs soon, within 10 seconds, after I
selected to boot from a CDROM on the EFI boot option list.

Here was the message.

Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Entering /boot/kernel/kernel at 0xe00000004060000...

Again, the machine hanged completely even without any response on number lock.

Then, the monitor switched to sleep mode by itself. The `System' LED
on the machine changed from green to flashing red and the second light
of the 4 LEDs, labeled 1 to 4, turned solid red. After several seconds
of  warning beeps, the machine rebooted itself.

Please be noticed that the installation process of RedHat Enterprise
Edition was smooth and successfully on the same machine. Therefore, I
don't think it is a hardware problem. Also, I verified the MD5
checksum of both installation discs in order to make sure that neither
of the downloaded ISO images is corrupted.

I tried the same procedure for several times already but the same
problem persisted.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion. Thank you!

Regards,
Yipkei