Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:54:00 +0100
From:      Shin Tai <tsefong@dcs.kcl.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing 4.4 on sony vaio c1ve from pcga-cd51 cdrom

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 06:10:21PM +0100, Ian Dowse wrote:
> In message <20011007171413.A6734@purcell.dcs.kcl.ac.uk>, Shin Tai writes:
> >Has anyone had any experience installing 4.4 on a sony vaio c1ve using the
> >sony pcga-cd51 cdrom?
> >
> >I've tried changing the base address to 0x180 like you would to get this
> >drive working under linux but that didn't seem to work no matter which irq I
> >used.
>
> As far as I know, FreeBSD should detect the cdrom drive as a pcmcia
> device and allow you to install from it without any manual
> configuration. What happens if you just boot from the CD, answer
> yes to the question about installing from a PCMCIA device, and try
> to install from the CD?

I choose the default base address and various free IRQs but when it comes to
choosing the installation media I'm told that no CD drives are found. I've
also tried it with other base addresses but that just seems to lock the vaio
when it tries to probe.

> I haven't actually tried installing 4.4
> this way on a vaio, but I have used FreeBSD with vaios and the
> cdrom drives have always just worked when plugged in (search
> the mailing list archives if you get solid hangs when inserting
> pcmcia cards; often changing the bios "PnP OS" setting, assigning
> an IRQ to the pcic device, or changing to ISA interrupt routing
> will help).

I can unplug and plug the drive without any problems. I disabled PNP in the
bios but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Tonight I'll give enabling ISA routing through the boot loader and see what
happens.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Shin