Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:01:43 -0800
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA modem card problems

I'm running FreeBSD 3.1 and I recently purchased a  ActionTec modem
card (because it's specifically listed in the /etc/pccard.conf file in
the distribution).  I noticed that the pccard.conf file configures it
as IRQ 10 and my 3Com ethernet card uses IRQ 10, so I tried changing
it to IRQ 15.  It didn't work.  When I open the device, the kernel
hangs!

Finally, I got the kernel to not hang by removing the "ep0" ethernet
device driver entirely and letting the modem use IRQ 10, but even then
I can't talk to the card using tip.  It's configured as "sio2" so I've
been talking to it using /dev/cuaa2, but no matter what I type I don't
get anything from the card ("AT" gives no response).

I'm at a loss.  Can someone tell me what type of PCMCIA modem card
*does* work under FreeBSD 3.1 or what I'm doing wrong with this one?
(I searched through the list archives and didn't see anything
addressing this.)

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  Please reply directly
to me and I'll summarize for the list is there's interest.

/raj