Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 00:50:46 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za (John Hay)
Cc:        se@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-SCSI@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR SCSI problem with HP C1553A tape jukebox

On Jan 21, jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za (John Hay) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using the HP C1553A tape jukebox with the NCR SCSI controller
> for a while on FreeBSD 2.1.x on a Pentium machine and it was working
> fine. Now I have upgraded the machine to a 200MHz Pentium Pro and I am
> getting "st0(ncr0:5:0): COMMAND FAILED (4 88) @f112ce00." messages
> when using the tape. It will work for a while and then give this error
> at random places. I am still using the exact same controller and

Could you please send complete error messages from the message log ?

> cable and the jukebox is in an external box. It is the only device
> on that SCSI bus and it is terminated on the controller and at the
> end of the cable.
>
> I had a look at the status codes and the 4 seems to indicate that
> the host was finished, but the 88 does not seem to exist in the
> S_xxxxx status codes or can you OR the bits?

Yes, you can :)
(Well, kind of: The 0x80 is a special case, which is used internally
by the driver.)

> Is it possible that there is a timing problem in the driver somewhere?

Not very likely. There are no timing loops, except when the chip has
to be reset (which should not happen under normal use.)

> Have someone else came across this problem with a solution maybe?

There have been reports of problems with other PCI bus-master cards
on Natoma motherboards. But I need more information in order to
understand what's wrong ...

Regards, STefan