Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:03:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Daniel McRobb <dwm@caida.org>
Cc:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>, Denis DeLaRoca <denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu>, Jason Garman <jgarman@wedgie.org>, Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>, Michael Hohmuth <hohmuth@innocent.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: raplayer- realaudio

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Daniel McRobb wrote:

> > [ On Monday, March 13, Chuck Robey wrote: ]
> > >
> > > I notice that the binary that was downloadable from the realplayer site
> > > was a big binary, which I'm not willing to just blindly allow itself to
> > > manage install for me.  Does anyone know how it unpacks, or maybe would
> > > anyone be willing to let me have the unpacked binaries (and maybe config
> > > files? too) involved?  I'm just not willing to trust some 3rd party with
> > > my system.
> >
> > Believe me, I would *love* to repackage all the .so, etc. files into a
> > regular "non-self-extracting" tarball, but their license prohibits that
> > action ... :(
> >
> > My system hasn't melted down after running their install, so you might
> > be safe ... :)
>
> Works fine for me too, and you can always run the install as a normal
> user and tell it to install in a non-system directory (I always install
> these kinds of things in a subdirectory under /usr/local/pkg/, and just
> put symlinks to /usr/local/bin/ and the like after I've tested).
>
> With Real's history on these kinds of things, I'd be much more worried
> about what the player is telling various servers when you're using it
> than anything it does during the install.  ;-)

If I knew it offered me the choice, I never would have asked.  Good thing,
I can install it now, thanks!

> Daniel
> ~~~~~~

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.