Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 14:03:01 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Neil Ludban <n-ludban@onu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ncr53c875j under FreeBSD-2.2.2

On 1997-10-19 22:58 -0400, Neil Ludban <n-ludban@onu.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've ruled out everything I could think of on this problem, and what's
> left points to a question about the ncr driver for -hackers.
>
> I'm trying to get FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE to recognize a Diamond FirePort40
> SCSI adapter, which uses the NCR 53c875j chip.  A borrowed Asus PCI-SC875
> is recognized correctly on the same system (53c875 chip, no j).  I looked
> through the ncr code and found the identification numbers for different
> chip numbers, but didn't see anything about the 875j or even different
> revisions of other chips.

Sorry, Symbios used a different PCI chip ID for the J version
of the 875, for reasons I do not really understand, but did not
mention this in the 875 data book. The driver was fixed to accept
both chip IDs (there is no difference between the two, as far as
the NCR driver is concerned). But this was too late for 2.2.2 ...

> Can anyone tell me if this should already work (I got a bad card, or a
> messed up BIOS), or explain where to start to add support?  According to
> Symbios' web site, the j suffix means it "supports JTAG boundary scan for
> onboard testing."  I assume that if the current driver were to recognize
> it, it would act like a plain 875, which would be good enough for me.

It does and it is :)

> A possibly related problem is that having both SCSI cards installed at
> once, or the Asus with a PCI NIC (ed2, RealTek 8029) causes the boot to
> hang after the imasks line.  The next thing should have been the BIOS
> disk geometries.  FWIW, the geometry of the SCSI disk is correct for
> either controller.

Hmmm, that's strange. I'm using two NCR SCSI chips and a RealTek
8029 based Ethernet card in my system, too ...

My guess is, that there is an IRQ conflict between PCI and ISA.
Could verify, that none of the IRQs printed for the PCI cards is
configured for one of your ISA cards, too. I do not know anything
about your PCI BIOS (whether it dynamically assigns interrupts to
PCI slots, for example), but assume some kind of configuration
problem exists.

> pci0:12:    NCR/Symbios, device=0x008f, class=storage (scsi) int a irq 11
> [no driver assigned]

Just replace the line reading:

#define	NCR_875_ID	(0x000f1000ul)

by:

#define	NCR_875_ID	(0x008f1000ul)

and rebuild your kernel.

But this will make the driver ignore the non-J version of the 875.
The drivers in 2.2-stable and -current have been fixed to accept
both PCI IDs for quite some time, so you may want to upgrade, if
you need one kernel that supports both at a time.

Regards, STefan