Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:00:43 -0600
From:      "Scott Anderson" <nemesis@crypto.tk>
To:        "Mike Hoskins" <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        "f-stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvsup (was Re: Problems with make buildkernel)

The simple matter is that even though there is extensive documentation,
sometimes just docs alone don't cut it.  I took the message as targetted at
me (as it blatantly was) because of the subject line.  And since I'm the one
that wrote the original message asking for help, then it seemed your message
(whether addressed to the list or not) was aimed at me.

You (of all people; Mr. Smart Guy) should know that documentation, no matter
how good it is, never covers every possible problem that could arise.  There
are so many different configurations that it's impossible to cover them all.
I'm sure you've had a time or two in the past, while compiling a program of
some sort, where the documentation simply didn't address the issue you were
having.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe you, Mr. Perfect, never have problems
because you always read documentation.

The fact of the matter is that I, personally, don't go looking for help for
a problem (expecially in a mailing list) unless I feel that I've exhausted
my other options (and yes, reading documentation is important to me to).
The validity of the Handbook and FAQ were never questioned by me, so I don't
see where to get off preaching to me about the invaluable tools at my
disposal.  Oh, and one other thing; If you're going to speak in metaphors,
at least try to make sense shoe-man.