Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 14:44:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "George M. Ellenburg" <gme@inspace.net>
Cc:        "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Touching Base

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, George M. Ellenburg wrote:

> Greetings, Gentlemen.
>
> An associate of mine is experiencing a rather unique problem with his
> FreeBSD box (P233, 64Mb Ram, 2 Maxtor 3.0gb IDE Hard Drives) ... I'm
> enclosing an excerpt from our message.  Perhaps you may have some clues
> as I'm stumped.
>
> Regards,
>
> George Ellenburg

First, questions like this belong on the FreeBSD-Questions list, not
hackers.  Anyhow, it's not possible to test memory using a PC.  The only
way to do it is with an expensive piece of test equipment.  The return
from Checkit is only good for complete failures; any other indication
isn't worth anything at all.

I mean that -- checkit is worthless to catch anything but gross memory
errors.

FreeBSD (or really any other unix) works a PC's memory far harder than any
DOS or Windows based application, so the chances really are that your
friend has a memory problem.  What he has to do is take it back to his
vendor and really insist on new memory.  There isn't any software problem
like he's talking about.

This kind of thing is seen quite a bit among folks new to Unix ... I'm not
guessing here, your friend's complaint is common, and if he wants to run
FreeBSD, he's going to have to get the problem fixed.  Under Windows 95,
heck, it reboots of it's own accord so often, you don't realize that some
percentage of those reboots are hardware faults.  Many users of FreeBSD
have uptime (on busy internet servers) measured in _years_.

> Tom

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |