Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:59:43 -0800
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: BSDvs Lxxxxx Flame..

} As Marty Leisner wrote:
} >
} > Can someone provide hard information about nfs serving capability
} > on identical hardware between linux and freebsd?
} >
} > I'm very disappointed at the nfs performance on linux...I've used
}
} No ``hard information'', but most linux guys admit that their NFS
} server is about the worst piece of the system.
}
} I've seen 800 KB/s being piped out of a FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 machine, going
} to a single SGI Indy.
}

Asynchronous, of course! :-)

I have a page of results for FreeBSD networking, sitting at

http://www.geli.com/data/net.perf.html

This is all 100BASE-TX results.  I made a careful study of Linux,
NetBSD, and FreeBSD 10Mb NFS Server performance for Sandia National Lab
a year ago, and Linux was 10x slower.  That was then, this is now,
the first thing that happens when Linux server performance is mentioned
is "well, this is fixed in the next kernel".  But it isn't, the server
is a user space implementation, and performance won't get better until
they bring it into the kernel.

Rather than have a flame war, the best antidote to the disinformation
(dissembling?) proclivities of ->OTHER FINE PROJECTS<- is good hard data.
If anyone has any networking (or any FreeBSD performance data) that they
would like mentioned or listed (with proper attribs, of course) in my
performance pages, I would be happy to due so.

A good example how this sometimes works is disk performance.
About 9 months ago I started pointing out on the linux lists that
bonnie with a file size quite a bit larger than main memory size is
a good indicator of actual disk performance, and slowly that
discussion has gotten more realistic.  (fewer "Zowwy! I get 15 MB/s out
of my EIDE drive on a 486!)

The same needs to be done for the networking side.  I'm quite partial
to netperf, myself.

} --
} cheers, J"org
}
} joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
} Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)
}

Regards,
Russell