Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:49:55 +1100
From:      Philip Sydney Lavers <psl@ign.com.au>
To:        Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i downloaded java now what? and also Netscape 4

Alex Nash wrote:

> On 20 Feb, Philip Sydney Lavers wrote:
> > I have down loaded java and installed it in /usr/local/jdk1.1.5 as
> > recommended
> > I did this because my Netscape 3.01 will not view a web site,
>
> The JDK will not assist Netscape in anything Java related.
>
> > www.geobits.com that my kids gave me as a birthday present, although any
> > of my win95 browsers see it ok
> > I thought the problem might have been a lack of java on my system
>
> As much as I detest the unreliability of later versions of Netscape,
> you could probably view it ok if you installed Netscape 4.04.  Netscape
> 4.04 is available in the ports collection.  Holler if you don't know
> how to use the ports collection.

Thanks for the many useful advices so far from Alex and others
Regarding Netscape 4.04 I downloaded it as suggested.
When I try to run it I get:
quote
ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.0: minor version 0 older
than expected 3, using it anyway
ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.0: minor version 0 older than
expected 1, using it anyway
ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.0: minor version 0 older than
expected 3, using it anyway
ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libg++.so.4.0"
unquote

wow!

what does this all mean? Do I need to link in g++ or something?

sorry for this trouble but I would like to read web pages from FreeBSD