Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:26:50 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap_pager: out of swap space (-->crash) - procmail is problem

On Tue, 01-Jun-1999 at 06:41:27 -0700, Jerry Preeper wrote:
> It appears that procmail 3.11.pre7 has a known problem with BSD systems and
> memory allocation, which has supposedly been fixed up somewhat in the

At least it had a problem with FreeBSD. It was due to the silly way how
it (re)alloc'ed memory. I made a patch for it which you can still find at:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/mail/procmail/patches/Attic/patch-ae?rev=1.1

> latest release - 3.13.1 to use an alternative method    I upgraded
> yesterday and haven't seen a problem yet, but then again, I haven't sent it
> a huge email -- yet.

I sent already 100MB mails over 3.13.1 without any problem.

> My 550 code should have been a 554, but I have already removed that from
> the /etc/mail/access file.  I have also set MaxMessageSize in sendmail to
> 15000000 which should probably handle a 10MB encoded email +/- I'm guessing.
>
> Jerry

	-Andre