Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 11:14:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@legarto.minn.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Telnet problem to Linux machine

My current ISP runs Linux 1.2.8, and I'm running FreeBSD-current, with
a PPP connection (using pppd, but the problem also shows up with ijppp).
Ever since I started with this new ISP, anytime I telnet into
their machine, most of my lines of output are preceded by a single
space (but not all of the time!).  Vi output usually starts in column
one, except for a couple of lines.  Since I don't really ever login to
that machine to do anything, I didn't really care and just wrote it off to
some odd Linux bug.

Yesterday I was playing around with rlogin, and found that if I rlogin
to the Linux machine, there are no problems, and all output starts
in column one as it should.  I also noticed that things are fine
if I telnet in from an xterm.  I decided to hunt the problem down, and
I found that setting the "inbinary" telnet option would fix it, but
that causes the login sequence to screw up.  E.g. it login looks like:

login: mpp
          password:
		   Last login....

Then it gets back to normal.  I can live with the workaround I found
above, but I thought I would ask here just to make sure there isn't
some quirk in the FreeBSD telnet that should be fixed.

And as long as I'm asking...I've also noticed that since I started
with this ISP, anytime I telnet into their machine, or anywhere
out in the world, the "del" key always gets interpreted as a backspace.
Control-U works as a line delete, but NOTHING on my end, or the remote
end has ^U mapped to anything!  This happens with both telnet & rlogin.

I've logged into freefall and verified that the del key is sending
the correct data to the remote end, but it still gets taken as a backspace.
My stty settings on the local and remote ends are:
erase ^H kill ^?

I suspect a PPP problem either on my end of my ISP's end, since
with my old ISP everything was fine, but I had a SLIP connection then.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@legarto.minn.net