Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:27:32 +0000
From:      Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
To:        Mark Bannar-Martin <mbannar-martin@pearson-college.uwc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dual CPU hardware Newbie question

my recommendation is that you assemble the machine.
I have version 3.1 of Freebsd running on an ASUS motherboard, Double
Pentium III 450 Mhz with the 3 scsi ports (I'm using normal scsi only for
now) 256 Mb (grows up tp 2 GB RAM) and is by most the most powerfull
machine at the company. The total cost was about 1,500 USD .It is running
apache and serves more than 10,000 visitors daily and even with that the
CPU usage is as low as 5-12%.Just a rocket.
Only thing is to recompile the kernel for the 2 processors, no problems at
all. Once assembled correctly the setup for FreeBSD tokk us 20 minutes,
kernel compiled included.Similar machine of a known brand: 6,000 USD (to
start)

At 06:17 PM 27/07/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I have searched the lists but I did not find a satisfactory posting for
>the following question:
>
>I am looking to purchase a dual cpu machine to run FreeBSD. I have only
>used 2.2.8 so far but I like it. I want to spend at most $2000. I am not
>interested in graphics and want to use this machine as a Samba server
>for a small workgroup of Win9x machines.
>
>Any hardware recommendations would be much appreciated as would the best
>FreeBSD release to use for rock solid platform.
>Perhaps the most important decisions for me are:
>1. Single or dual CPU
>2. IDE or SCSI hard drive
>
>Thank you,
>Mark.