Date:      Fri, 07 Aug 1998 19:31:36 -0400
From:      Howard Leadmon <hdl@abs.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   select() -vs- poll() in 3.0-CURRENT???

  As I have started working with FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT to run an Undernet
IRC Server. As this monolithic program allows thousands of clients to connect
to it, I had to allow thousands of FD's to be open, which has been done and
works fine.  The big question is that the 3.0 release now supports poll()
as well
as select() to service the FD's.  The Undernet IRCD allows me to use either
method by selecting it at compile time.

So any of you hardcore C programmers out their know what is better for
this environment? The the configure program uses poll() by default if it
finds
it available, but I suspect that is from SysV, so wondered if this is still
the
correct action for FBSD.  For now I am running with poll() enabled, but
thought
I would see what others feelings were on this..

---
Howard Leadmon - hdl@abs.net - http://www.abs.net
ABSnet Internet Services - Phone: 410-361-8160 - FAX: 410-361-8162