Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:42:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rich Fox <rich@f2sys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fixed! Re: libwrap.so.7--making me crazy!

Hi,

This message is a follow-up posting:

In my original posting, I stated that after installing tcp_wrappers_7.6,
my problem with the libwrap.so.7 library not being found was unresolved.
This was not entirely accurate, I didn't quite go far enough to solve the
problem.

Although the library was not being found, I believe this was the result of
ldconfig not being run after I installed the tcpwrappers.
I reinstalled the system as clean, which probably wasn't necessary for
this problem. Then I installed netatalk. When I tried to invoke the
netatalk daemons, atalkd and papd came up, but afpd ran into the same
problem as before.
Following Guy Helmer's instruction, I installed net/tcp_wrappers_7.6 from
the /stand/sysinstall utility.
Before attempting to start afpd, I shut everything down and rebooted the
system. When the system came up, netatalk started happily and has been
running since.

The clue to reboot came from a post to this list by Robert Nordier [Dec.
'96!] in the archive about a problem with shared libraries and ldconfig:

[snip]
You may need to do a `/sbin/ldconfig -m' to have the system recognize
the library.  See the ldconfig(8) man page for details.  Or simply
reboot.
[snip]

-- and this excerpt from the 3.1R Errata:

o  Some packages, like netscape, will fail to install if chosen
   at initial system installation time, in some cases claiming
   that the "compat22" distribution needs to be installed even
   though it has, indeed, been installed.

Fix: The problem here is that though the compatibility a.out libraries
     may have been installed from compat22 and as part of the XFree86
     distribution, the a.out library (ldconfig) cache has not yet been
     built given that this doesn't happen until the system has booted
     completely at least once.  This causes packages which require the
     old a.out libraries (like netscape) to get confused if they're
     installed before that has occurred.  To work around the problem,
     simply complete the installation as normal and come up fully,
     then re-run /stand/sysinstall (or use the pkg_add(1) command
     directly) to re-install the failing package(s).

(I don't know if all this was really what solved the problem, but it works
now...)
Again, thanks everyone!

Rich.