Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:45:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <200204200256.g3K2uOu10038@sheol.localdomain>
>             hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr) writes:
> : IMHO, you muddy, if not nullify, the abstract altogether. You are advocating
> : copying this file down to /etc, and editing it. There goes the concept of
> : "overriding the values contained in this file".
>
> Yes.  /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf are separated because we
> wanted to change the defaults from time to time.

	Users hate this.

> I agree that copying /etc/defaults/rc.conf is a horrible idea.  Down
> right stupid and should never be advocated.  *EVER*.  We had that
> paradigm in FreeBSD 1.x and 2.x and it *DID*NOT*WORK*.  That's the whole
> reason that we separated things out into two files.

	People keep leaving off the rest of the advice I gave, which is to
set the variables for the things you care about, and delete the rest. I
think this is perfectly reasonable advice. Relying on the defaults not
changing for things that are important to your local installation is
foolhardy, IMO.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?