Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:38:44 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slow system freeze - data

On Sun, 2004-Dec-26 08:14:49 +0100, Benjamin Lutz wrote:
>The freeze just happened again. I managed to get into the debugger and get
>some info.

The info you dumped shows that there's a filesystem deadlock on
ad4s1f.  This is consistent with the behaviour you reported - the
system is running "normally" but as soon as a process trys to access
that filesystem, it freezes.  Eventually, everything all processes are
frozen.

Unfortunately, it's not clear (to me) where to go next.  Printing the
locked vnodes might help but that's not easy to do without gdb.

>The first app that froze as far as I could tell was xmms.

Actually, the locks suggest that the problem started with pid 678 - kdeinit.
This is unlikely to be

--
Peter Jeremy