Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:45:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de (O. Hartmann)
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats is this? FBSD 4.1 isn't stable!

O. Hartmann wrote
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> Well, sorry, but this is not that kind of doing science by laying hands
>> onto something and say: well - its this kind of symptome!
>>
>> We develop here equipment for airborne measurement facilities for
>> meteorological science and the way we stress things makes me sure, over
>> the time, that a system, which has been stressed much more under much more
>> bad conditions do not fail in a phase of been not stressed that hard.
>>
>> Maybe you're right and I caught some kind of "hardware failure", but
>> surely not that kind of failure that we expect due to "overheating" the
>> CPUs. The machine here in front of me is much better air conditioned thatn
>> other systems I stressed.

	One of the earlier emails said you ran into a problem while doing
	a "make world".  If you were doing a make world, it was replacing
	binaries as it compiled.

	So, if it isn't a hardware problem as the others have suggested,
	my guess is you replaced enough of your binaries to really hose
	the OS.  That's why it's a really good idea to do the 'make
	buildworld' and 'make installworld' sequence separately, so you
	know if it's going to build BEFORE you start replacing your
	working operating system.

	All I can suggest is going back to your 4.1 CD and reinstalling
	that, and then trying the the cvsup, make buildworld, make
	installworld sequence again.  You could also look at which files
	were replaced in your installed system, but that would take a
	long time.. :)

	Anyway, I hope this helps.

					Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	 steve@spukhaus.com