Date:      03 Sep 1999 01:16:16 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFD: "bogomips" CPU performance metric

 * From: Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>

 * What I want is a simple new readable sysctl, something like:
 *
 * 	hw.clockrate:		132
 *
 * I think that this would be useful both for development (how fast
 * is that stupid machine down in the bunker?),  and system admininstration
 * (who needs a cpu upgrade this year?).

I like that.

 * Doing this for Pentium and better systems should be trivial.  Doing
 * it for 486 and lower would just add a timing loop.  Doing it for SMP
 * would be harder.
 *
 * 	hw.cpu0.clockrate:	233
 * 	hw.cpu1.clockrate:	233
 *
 * Possibly?  The implementer gets to pick a better name than these.

How about

hw.clockrate.cpu0:	233
hw.clockrate.cpu1:	233

(cpu0 only for uni-procs, of course).